The data.world team is looking for an experienced Data Analyst (/ Data Engineer) to serve in a hybrid role supporting the data insights, and the queries and pipelines that power them, for data.world and our customers.
As a member of our Product Science team, you will establish yourself as a key expert and evangelist on our data, working cross-functionally to ensure data self-service and generate insights about our business in support of key initiatives. You’ll develop customer-facing reports and metrics that become a part of the product itself. You will build and iterate on a modern, SaaS-based data warehouse, analytics, visualization, and catalog infrastructure stack.
This role is a balance of understanding what makes our business and our customers’ businesses tick, putting analytics and data transformation skills to work, uncovering insights, and data storytelling. We’re looking for someone who is able to clearly communicate and collaborate with others, and is passionate about working with data.
- Collaborate with business groups at data.world to gather requirements around key insights and reporting needs
- Develop effective and intuitive BI data reports, visualizations, and queries in support of insights for both internal-facing and customer-facing use cases
- Conduct evidence-based investigations and draw actionable conclusions in support of company and team goals and overall product success
- Develop new data and analytics capabilities for our customer-facing Usage and Governance Reporting
- Administer and optimize our SaaS-based data warehouse and BI infrastructure in support of self-service analytics dashboards, ad hoc analytics, and reporting
- Evolve our star schema data model and architecture to ensure performance and usefulness across the organization
- Write and maintain SQL jobs in support of ETL/ELT and BI analysis, reporting, and visualization, ability to troubleshoot SQL jobs as required
- Engage and coordinate with data science, engineering, and others at data.world in support of data initiatives
- Maintain diagrams and documentation of data models and data flows as needed to support understanding and troubleshooting of data infrastructure
- Build and maintain internal data catalog including data dictionaries, glossary, and curated datasets in support of easy consumption by the rest of the company
- Manage and drive improvements for the metrics collection pipeline, data processing, and self-service data & insight tools
- Be stewards and evangelists for data driven culture and data best practices within the company
- Be customer zero, leveraging our product and providing feedback as one of the key target personas that the product intends to provide value for
- 5+ years of experience working with BI or data warehouse technologies in support of insights and reporting
- 5+ years of SQL experience with ability to write and tune SQL jobs for a variety of usage patterns
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience interfacing with others internally and externally from the company
- Understanding of ETL, ELT, star schema, and other data model and data warehouse concepts, techniques, and best practices
- Good communication and presentation skills with the ability to explain concepts and conclusions around data and insights in a clear, concise, and compelling way
- Strong data visualization skills and ability to choose the best way to present information
- Experience working with Snowflake or other applicable SQL data warehouse technologies
- Experience working with Tableau, Looker, or other modern data visualization tools
- Experience with DBT and/or Python
- Experience working in for SaaS or enterprise software companies in the data or analytics space
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and the client base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas, and outcomes.
data.world, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.