We’re looking for an energetic and driven Director of Finance & Business Operations to oversee our Finance & Accounting operations, and partner closely with our Sales, Marketing, and Client Services teams on key business, operational, and analytical initiatives.
You have a broad knowledge of accounting and financial principles and processes, and will supervise all financial and accounting tasks of our company including reporting, planning, and strategy. This role is critical to identifying, reporting, and optimizing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) across the organization with a focus on collaboration with departmental leaders to drive results through visibility and accountability. Additionally, you will partner closely with the COO and team members throughout the company on select key initiatives to provide strategic, analytical, and project management leadership and support.
We need a hands-on leader and manager who is eager to roll up his/her sleeves and build a world-class global company from the ground up. You are both a strategic thinker and a detail-oriented project manager with a passion for driving profitability and growth. The role requires a professional operator who is self-motivated, a relentless doer, humble, strives for excellence, has uncompromising integrity, and is experienced in building high performance teams in fast-growth environments.
At data.world, you’ll report directly to our COO, though the role is highly cross-functional and will have you collaborating with leaders across the organization.
At data.world, you will:
- Supervise all financial and accounting functions across the organization including financial & tax planning and reporting as well as overseeing all audit and internal control operations to ensure adherence to applicable laws and regulations.
- Work in collaboration with the COO to drive financial planning and forecasting by analyzing performance and assessing risk.
- Lead our Finance, Accounting, and Revenue Operations, including designing, implementing, and overseeing the company’s finance IT system.
- Work in close collaboration with the COO to define, track, and optimize the “north star” investor and operational metrics across the company.
- Partner with functional leaders to define, track, and optimize the critical KPIs of their respective areas of the business through dashboards and other analytical tools.
- Build and lead the core function of Business Operations with a goal of making processes, technology/systems, and analytics more efficient across the organization.
- Partner closely with Sales to define proper compensation and commission structures across the Sales team and provide support in related finance functions including tracking of commission obligations and payment execution.
- Design, implement and manage key cross-functional operations, workflows, and initiatives to drive growth, improve reporting, and exceed budget, strategic, financial, and operational goals.
- Manage and contribute to key strategic initiatives in coordination with the COO working cross-functionally to drive business growth and exceed OKRs and KPIs.
- Be deployed as an agent of progress, strategic thinker, and project manager wherever the company needs it most. As a high horse-power generalist with strengths in analysis, process, and communication you’ll be deployed wherever the company needs you most to drive progress.
We’d love to see:
- 7+ years of experience in finance and accounting operations
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field
- Experience working at a SaaS company and familiarity with SaaS business models
- Self-driven and entrepreneurial, loves to create and build
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills
- Collaborative, cross-functional work ethic
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Hands-on experience working at a fast-paced startup
- Proven ability to successfully lead projects from planning through execution
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, organizational, and implementation skills
- Proficiency in the use of accounting and financial management software
Big pluses include:
- MSc/MA, and/or CPA or other relevant certification
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure, software development, CRM, ERP systems and productivity tools (i.e., Slack, Workday, Atlassian Confluence)
- Familiarity with the data management space
- Sense of humor! We love to have fun while we do exceptional work at data.world, and always appreciate it in others.
- A big heart. We are a proud Public Benefit Corporation and a B Corp with a mission to change the world in broader society and within organizations by democratizing access to data and up-leveling data practices.
Perks and benefits:
- Competitive market compensation with a generous bonus structure, and fully paid health/dental/vision insurance for the whole family
- Charitable corporate matching and volunteer events throughout the year
- Open PTO, and a personalized wellness incentive
- Catered lunch daily, all the snacks, coffee, Yerba Mate, and beer you can handle when we're back in the office again
- Regularly scheduled team events including game nights, rock climbing, and cocktail competitions -when we can all get together again
- A flexible work environment with an understanding that employees are people with lives outside of the job
- A tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and curiosity for days
If you have the exceptional combination of skills and qualities that we are looking for, then we’re excited to meet you!
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and the customer base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas, and outcomes.