The data.world team is looking for a Senior Java Engineer to join us as we develop the industry-changing platform that’s modernizing the way organizations use data. This person will be responsible for the design and development of the platform’s backend functions, working closely with all engineering functions in this test-driven development environment.
We are seeking talented engineers who have experience working as part of a cross-functional team of professionals to develop overall concept, design and integration objectives in a variety of environments. This person should be a self-motivated, strategic thinker with the drive to take ownership of large efforts. If you’re creative, persistent, passionate about the transformative power of data, and want to have an impact on a fast-growing business, then we want to meet you.
At data.world you will:
- Be part of the team developing the data.world platform’s backend functions
- Use a variety of technologies building software that works with databases
- Work closely with other senior engineers and product leadership to translate business requirements into a technical design that can be understood and implemented by a cross functional team
- Work in an agile, CI/CD based, test-driven development environment
We’d love to see:
- BS in technology or engineering field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years software development experience programming in Java
- Experience developing at the "data layer" (we're not too concerned with specific tech, since we integrate with and use it all - just that you have a level of experience building software that works with databases. We can teach the specifics and the right person will be open to learn!)
- Ability to use innovative analytical approaches to proactively solve a broad range of problems across technologies.
- Ability to translate business requirements into a technical design that can be understood and implemented by a cross functional team
- Experience working in a continuous deployment organization with multiple deployments each week is a plus
- Strong team contribution and interaction; positive team member who enjoys working in a collaborative, fast-paced, startup environment
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to provide input into technology roadmaps
- Experience creating and maintaining technical documentation
- Contribute to internal knowledge of best practices in emerging technology
Big pluses include:
- Experience in Web Services Design, Testing, and Implementation
- Semantic Web (RDF/SPARQL) experience
- Experience with graph databases
- Experience writing language parsers (we use a Scala combinator parser, but any parser experience is a bonus)
- Experience developing in the AWS ecosystem
Perks and benefits:
- The usual suspects: market compensation with a generous bonus structure, health/dental/vision insurance
- Not so usual suspects: education credits, charitable donation matching to the organization of your choice, and event ticket giveaways
- Catered lunch 4x per week, all the snacks, coffee, Yerba Mate, and beer you can handle
- Regularly scheduled team events including game nights, rock climbing, and cocktail competitions
- A flexible work environment with an understanding that employees are people with lives outside of the office
- A tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and curiosity for days
If you have the exceptional combination of skills and qualities that we are looking for, then we’re excited to meet you!
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and customer base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas, and outcomes.