We’re looking for a highly motivated Paralegal to join data.world as we expand our legal team. This position reports directly to our General Counsel and will work closely with our business stakeholders at all levels of the company, interfacing with sales, customer success, finance, IT and business development to help ensure alignment and collaboration to achieve the company’s goals.
This is a generalist role that involves managing and supporting projects across the full range of subject matter supported by the legal department. In this position, you will be a key partner in drafting contracts, conducting related legal research, contract management, and regulatory compliance.
You must be able to adapt to changing priorities and business needs. Through effective verbal and written communications, training skills, organization and familiarity with the company’s systems, this role must be proactive in identifying areas of need and generating action plans. This role requires an entrepreneurial mindset, which can navigate evolving legal and business landscapes, as well as an agile business approach, and can help the company through its transition from its start up phase to mature company status.
At data.world, you will:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including sales, support, service, business development, regulatory, IT, and finance as well as well as various business units
- Independently research, draft, prepare, file, organize and distribute business agreements
- Independently monitor and research applicable laws and track pending legislation
- Draft responses to those portions of privacy and security questionnaires involving legal matters
- Assist with regulatory compliance initiatives, including initiatives relating to data privacy and security and vendor management
- Provide training on legal issues and systems
- Help draft and review company compliance policies and procedures
- Assist with insurance renewals and claims processing
- Communicate and coordinate with internal clients and external customers on select legal or contract issues
- Assist with the preparation of materials for meetings of the Board of Directors
- Maintain electronic corporate minute books and other corporate records for the company and its subsidiaries
- Respond to customer and user requests and other inquiries, including requests for data deletion, data portability, and changes to data
- Assist with the preparation of, drafting and negotiation and coordination of equity financings and mergers and acquisitions
- Maintain the capitalization tables and equity issuances, including stock option ledgers and exercises on Carta
We’d love to see:
- 5+ years corporate legal and contracts experience
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter, able to handle diverse workload
- Ability to work both independently and in partnership with various company leaders
- Sound decision maker, effective time management, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively interact with executive-level internal and external parties, exercising discretion in the handling of confidential information
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills, including training experience, policy drafting and communications and ability to effectively convey information across a different roles and departments
- An appetite to try new things. You’re curious and excited to improve your process, and always looking to learn. You ask questions and don't shy away from challenges.
Big pluses include:
- Demonstrated ability to independently move projects forward by gaining support needed from others while working in a cross-functional role
- Proven track record of collaborating with cross-functional groups (e.g., Finance, Operations, Sales, IT) to set objectives and produce meaningful results
- Strong experience in developing, implementing, and using legal department technology solutions such as a CMS, and its integrations with CRMs (Salesforce) and e-signature apps (HelloSign/DocuSign)
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage multiple deadlines
- Experience with venture backed companies, including with equity financings and mergers and acquisitions
- Experience with privacy regulations and requests under those laws, such as the GDPR, CCPA, HIPPA, etc.
- Prior experience negotiating technology, privacy and data use/data sharing agreements
Perks and benefits:
- Competitive market compensation with a generous bonus structure
- Fully paid health/dental/vision insurance for the whole family
- Charitable corporate programs and volunteer events throughout the year
- Open PTO, and a personalized wellness incentive
- Regularly scheduled team events including game nights, happy hours and cocktail competitions
- A flexible work environment with an understanding that employees are people with lives outside of the office
- A tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and curiosity for days
If you have the exceptional combination of skills and qualities that we are looking for, then we’re excited to meet you!
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and customer base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas, and outcomes.